Post by hatchetjack on Apr 15, 2019 10:10:27 GMT -5
Indiana Sportsman's Roundtable wants to alert hunters, anglers and recreational boaters of our opposition to HB 1279. In effect this amendment will “privatize” the waters of Geist Reservoir making it increasingly expensive and even more difficult for public access for hunting and fishing to one of the state’s best fishing lakes. This could be a threatening precedent for other such waters in our state!
Please forward this Alert to anyone who can help with this critical threat!
The Geist Conservancy District language was added in the Senate Environmental Affairs Committee last week. The amendment creates a new type of Conservancy District that only applies to Geist Reservoir (but could be used later as a precedent to limit access on other such waters).
· ISR is concerned this privatizes a public body of water and creates a precedent for similar attempts on other public waters of Indiana.
· Sportsmen have battled attempts to prohibit waterfowl hunting on Geist for years.
· Daily boat launch fees already create a significant barrier for public access to both anglers and recreational boaters.
· The bill would allow the new Geist Conservancy District to impose and collect additional fees for the recreational use of motorboats on the reservoir and only further restricting public access.
· ISR believes the existing Conservancy District language is sufficient to address stated management objectives.
The bill will be going to Conference Committee as soon as this week. We ask that you contact all of those Senators and Representatives who are part of the Conference Committee immediately and voice your opposition to this bill as amended (ask them to oppose the amendment). Hunters, anglers, and boaters should be able to enjoy the recreational use of our public waters and strongly oppose any attempts to restrict public access to Geist Reservoir or any other public waters of Indiana.
Senator Mike Crider 800-382-9467 Senator Sue Glick 800-382-9467
Senator Mark Messmer 800-382-9467 Rep. David Wolkins 800-382-9841
Rep. Doug Miller 800-382-9841 Rep. Andy Zay 800-382-9841
Rep. Todd Huston 800-382-9841 Rep. Sean Eberhart 800-382-9841